Sunday, December 11, 2011

Life in a Spica Cast

I don't know much about Spica casts but what I do know is they are super hard to sit up in, make carrying a child very awkward and heavy, are uncomfortable for a kid to sleep with, and they sure get stinky!  With every new change we've had over the past couple months coming home with a Spica on was super frustrating for all of us. E couldn't do all the things she used to do, she couldn't sit up very well, and she needed mom to do everything for her.  Somehow we managed 6 weeks.

We found ways for her to sit up.  A camping chair without arms worked the best but her tricycle also did the job.


And we found ways for her to lay down.


We found good, safe ways to get around town (yes, riding in the front seat of the car on mom's lap is totally safe).


We came to realize that when you get hurt you get more presents than your birthday and mom gets more meals brought in than when she had the kid...yes, we have some really great friends!


Our evening routine of bathing turned into blow drying the cast because of urine leakage.  Yes, it was as disgusting as it sounds.  They sure don't make those casts very easy for diapers!  Plus the poor girl was just potty trained then had to go back to diapers.  What a mess!  I'm pretty sure when I signed up to be a mom I didn't agree that I would have to potty train the same kid twice.


We got really good at moving around with that thing on!  And most of all...we learned how to adjust, make it fun and be excited about what we COULD do and not what we couldn't do (a valuable lesson for mom).




To get an update on E's progress check out this post.

1 comment:

  1. You win the best mom award. I couldn't imagine having to go through what you have had to go through with my little guy. Little E is such a strong little girl and extremely adorable. Have a great Christmas with your families.

    ReplyDelete